Thursday, July 23, 2015

This place called home


Wow...I am officially a slacker. I haven't added any blog entries since February. That, my friends, is a long time for someone who loves writing to go without writing. Just further validation that I need to remember to make time for me and things that renew my soul,  but that is another post for another day. ;)

A sweet friend suggested we do a blog challenge together over gratitude. I'll be honest, while I was excited to do a blog challenge (especially with my long distance bestie) I wasn't especially excited about doing it on gratitude. I have always felt like that was my one area that I rocked. Finding the silver lining has always been easy for me. Then, God knocked me on my butt, which happens a lot when I get in that "I've got this" zone. This week bitterness has been brewing in my heart and let me tell you, it is not a good feeling. One tiny thread of bitterness has led to me lashing out at the ones I love, taking for granted little moments that I usually hold dear, and has left me in a slump that if left unattended, I could easily find myself slipped into depression. I am so thankful that I am the daughter of a King that takes time to knock me down and remind me of what is important. I am thankful that I am worth the effort to Him, especially times like this past week, when I feel like I am lacking in every effort I put forth.

I want to welcome you to join us in this challenge. Lets be honest, even when we are great at being grateful, sometimes we overlook the most important things to be grateful for. <3

And off we go....

Everyone knows the old saying, "home is where the heart is." Well, that has always been a problem for me because I have always responded to it with "what if your heart is somewhere you've never been, but you long for every day?"  I grew up in a happy home. My Grandma raised me and she was a selfless provider, a happy homemaker and ultimately, a wonder role model for me. I never felt unworthy, even in my weakest moments and our home was always overflowing with love, but even when I was young I wanted to explore. I think some of us are born with a wandering heart. For many years I moved place to place and was never content with where I was. I always wanted more. I always longed for that feeling in my heart that told me I was "home".

A little over 7 years ago I met a man who is now my husband. When we first moved in together he used to give me the hardest time because I moved our furniture on average once a week. I was happy, but I still wasn't content. I remember one time in particular that I was so eager to go- just to find that place, that I risked our marriage, threatening to walk out if he wasn't willing to find that place with me. Eventually it all blew over, but what I realized is that I may never find that place that my soul longs to be, however, in that man that I aimlessly overlooked, standing right beside me, willing to risk it all just to love me, I found the place that my heart longs to be- and that is where ever he is. He keeps me grounded and teaches me how to be content and still aspire to follow my dreams. He reminds me daily that this life is crazy and unpredictable, but love is the most important thing we  have. If we aren't with the ones we love, we aren't anywhere worth being.

I never imagined my heart would feel at home in the one place I have longed to get away from, but the truth is, my heart feels at home, with him. Webster says home is:

home
hōm/
noun
  1. 1.
    the place where one lives permanently.


  2. Home is exactly what Webster says it is. So many of us consider home a building, I know I did, but I found home in a dwelling of a different kind and that is in the arms of the one person who I admire, love, trust, and can always count on to stand by me. Every time I see his smile I am reminded that home is where the heart is.

1 comment:

  1. Awe I love it!! The way you write seriously inspires me to work on mine. You have such a great way with words! And you are so right...home doesn't have to be a building. The best "homes" are in the hearts that love you unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete